Why is ADAPT the most expensive program out there? What makes it worth that price?
ADAPT is a robust, 12-month, online certification program created by Chris Kresser, M.S., L.Ac., one of the most respected Functional Medicine clinicians and thought leaders in the world. Some of the key points why the ADAPT program is the most expensive health coach out there are:
- Hands-on, experiential training in core coaching modalities, Functional Medicine, ancestral diet and lifestyle, and business and professional development
- An Approved Health and Wellness Coach Training & Education Program by the National Board for Health & Wellness Coaching (NBHWC)
- Dedicated to practical application and mastery—the development and refinement of skills and competencies
- More hours of supervision and mentorship, in both group and one-on-one formats than any other health coach training program we’re aware of
- Students interact directly with faculty in engaging live lectures and demonstrations, roundtable discussions, and Q&As
- Students receive both group and one-on-one supervision and feedback from mentor coaches, teaching assistants, and professional evaluators
What is the average salary for a health coach?
According to a 2018 Market Research report, health coaches can earn around $50,000 to $100,000 per year. This report does reflect one issue: the authors included data about health educators in their figures. Various job sites like Indeed, Glassdoor and others report that averages hover around $45,000 to $50,000 per year but it is worth to keep in mind that the salary range for this career varies considerably. It’s listed at around $15,000 on the low end to up to around $95,000 on the high end. For a more detailed rundown on health coach salaries read this article. Note: These salary figures are updated frequently and may change.
What do coaches charge per session?
According to Marketdata: Based on our discussions with hundreds of coaches in many settings, wellness coaches typically earn from $25 to $100 per coaching hour. See this article for more information on health coach salaries and income.
Does insurance cover health coaching?
Yes. The American Medical Association's (AMA) approval of new Category III Current Procedural Terminology (CPT®) Codes for health and well-being coaching was made effective January 1, 2020. American Medical Association Approves New Category III CPT Codes for Coaching
Am I eligible? I don't have a healthcare background. What prerequisites are needed?
You automatically qualify if you a) have a professional license, certification, or associate’s degree or higher in any healthcare or wellness-related field or b) have at least two years of full-time work experience in a healthcare or wellness-related field. You can also qualify with other types of education and experience as well. Please refer to our Health Coach Training Program Eligibility Form to verify if you qualify or by scheduling a call with an Enrollment Advisor.
How do I become an NBHWC certified coach?
The first step toward becoming a board-certified coach is attending an approved health coach training course. ADAPT HCTP is one of the few programs worldwide that is fully approved by the National Board of Health & Wellness Coaches (NBHWC). Graduating from our program means that, in addition to earning an ADAPT-Certified Functional Health Coach (A-CFHC) credential, you have the option to pursue an NBC-HWC certification.
What is Health Coaching, exactly?
Health coaches are specifically trained in helping people with changing their habits - a unique trait that allows people to incorporate hard lifestyle changes that support their doctor's advice. They empower you to discover your own wisdom and strength. Help you create your own solutions to problems. Supports you without judgment. Holds you accountable to your goals. Read this article for more information on how health coaches work with clients.
What is the job outlook for a health coach? What will the industry look like in the next 5-10 years?
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) features job and industry data on “health educators and community health workers,” not health coaches specifically. The BLS does say that the industry is expected to grow by 11 percent by 2028, much faster than average. See this guide on HC job opportunities for more info.
What is the best health coach certification?
The National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach certification (NBC-HWC). This credential signals to clients, collaborators, and employers that a health coach has the skills, training, and practice needed to be a professional coach. Importantly, the AMA noted that only health professionals certified by the NBHWC or the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. (NCHEC) can use the new codes—essentially defining a health coach as someone who has been certified by the NBHWC or NCHEC.
What does a successful health coaching career look like?
Where and how you work depends on your preferences and your vision for the future. One of the big perks of this profession is flexibility and the freedom to forge your own path. You can find health coaches working in a variety of settings and formats. Coaches can work 100% virtually with clients or meet with them one-on-one or in group sessions and classes. You could split your time between running your own private business, contracting with medical clinics, and working part time in a corporate environment. You could also choose to branch out and work for a school or a training institution, teach your own group classes, work with municipalities, or chart another path that’s entirely new.
What is the price for the ADAPT health coaching program?
We offer two payment options for the ADAPT HCTP:
- One time payment of $9,997
- Monthly payments of $899 for 12 months
Do I have to buy textbooks? Any other costs?
Yes there is minimal additional cost (<$50) for 2 to 3 required course textbooks. No other significant costs are accounted into the program.
Am I too old to become a health coach?
No! We have students from all ages and health coaching has proven to be a career for anyone who wants to make a living while helping other people.
Is there a sample session I can watch?
Not at this time.
How are the live sessions scheduled?
Live session program requirements:
- Instructor Sessions: 50 percent of the sessions must be attended live
- MC Sessions: 70 percent of the sessions must be attended live
- TA Sessions: 70 percent of the sessions must be attended live
- Plan on attending 2-3 sessions per week
- All live sessions are recorded and available for review
- Coaching is a skill that requires active practice and participation for mastery. Imagine learning to play basketball just by reading about it. You can’t. The same goes for coaching. You learn by doing and receiving feedback.
- Building relationships with other students is an important part of the course experience, and the connections you make here will benefit you for years to come. Interacting live on video with one another is an important way to build these bonds.
Will the program help me set up my health coaching business?
Health coaching doesn’t start with serving clients, but with finding them. We help you set up, establish, and structure your work so that you can run it as a profitable business.
- How to build and manage a practice
- Clarifying your vision, purpose, and brand
- Content, marketing, and sales strategy
- Establishing your online presence and platform
- Career opportunities for private practice and employment
- Business set-up (legal, banking, bookkeeping, accounting, scheduling)
- How to collaborate with licensed providers in a clinical setting
- Productivity, time management, and fulfillment
I'm anxious about being a student again, especially in an online program. What support will I have?
None of us can go it alone, we have to be connected to reach our full potential. You will be surrounded by support from day one and expertly guided through the various stages of learning. Through connections with our Student Advisor and student support team, faculty, peer partner, and fellow classmates, you will always have someone to lean on.
Will I fit in?
Maybe you don’t have many people in your life who share your passion for health and wellness. That will change when you enter our program. Many students state that they finally feel like they found their people. Lifelong friendships and professional connections are formed. We consistently hear that this was one of the most rewarding—and perhaps least expected—benefits of the program.
How long do we get to have access to the portal and materials? Can we download everything?
You have access to the portal and materials 12-months after completion of the program. Yes, you can download everything.
How can I find ADAPT Health Coach Training Program graduates in my area?
Use this free service to browse the listings of ADAPT Certified Functional Health Coaches (A-CFHC) who have completed the year-long ADAPT Health Coach Training Program with Chris Kresser at Kresser Institute.
Are you accredited? Are you NBHWC approved?
Yes we are. The ADAPT Health Coach Training Program is an Approved Health and Wellness Coach Training & Education Program by the National Board for Health and Wellness Coaching (NBHWC)
If I wasn’t able to order labs prior to starting this program, will I be able to order labs after becoming certified in this program?
Ordering and interpreting lab tests would be considered diagnosing a disease, which is outside of the scope of practice of a health coach—unless you have an existing license (e.g., MD, NP, etc.) that enables you to do this. Please see this article for a thorough discussion of this topic.